Apparently, there are too many people who are not.
Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? premiered last night on FOX, hosted by Jeff Foxworthy. It is quite possibly the saddest thing I have ever seen. In a culture that includes Jeopardy! and Who wants to be a Millionaire?, I find it depressing that this show has made it to the air.
However, I’ve been told that I’m being too hard on these people. After asking around my office today, I have discovered that there may be a larger pool of possible contestants for this show than I could have dreamed…
So, I ask you the following questions. These are the questions from the show last night. I am giving each and every one of my readers the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you will know – without assistance of ANY kind – the answers to the questions. Please tell me if you think these are above or below the 5th grade level. Also – if there are any that you wouldn’t know right off your head – feel free to admit that – we’re all friends here.
1. In what month do we celebrate Columbus Day?
2. True or False? In the wild, polar bears feed on penguins.
3. If the area of a triangle is 16 square inches, and the base is 8 inches – what is the height of the triangle?
4. Who was the first US president to be impeached?
5. Name the ship the pilgrims sailed from Plymouth, England, to the Plymouth Colony in America in 1620.
6. Part of a person’s sleep cycle is called the REM cycle. What does REM stand for?
FYI. Questions 1,2,3 and 4 were not answered correctly by a UCLA graduate (US History major). He had to “Drop out of school” and look into the camera and say, “I am not smarter than a 5th grader.”